Promoting Class of 2017
Promotion will be on Thursday, June 8, 2017.
PTA 8th Grade Promotion Committee Letter - February 2017
Dear CMS 8th Grade Parents
Can you believe we are in the home stretch towards the promotion of our students? To give our 8th graders a good send off, we are organizing the annual 8th Grade Promotion Dance which will take place on Friday, June 2, 2017. This event is a CMS PTA program and it aims to be a memorable celebration for students as they prepare to enter high school.
We are asking 8th grade families to consider a “Flat Donation” towards the cost of this event. This year’s committee is grateful for any dollar donations and would like to stress that participation in this donation is completely voluntary. Our budget is limited to $3,500.00 and our funds raised will cover the cost of the DJ, photo booth, food, décor, prizes and entertainment.
Currently, we have 247 promoting students and if 80% of our families donate $15 or more, we can raise the total needed without depending on other fundraising efforts. Any money raised that exceeds the budget will be gifted back to the school.
Ready to make your donation? GREAT! Here’s how:
- Mail your donation using the enclosed pre-addressed envelope.
- Deliver your envelope to the CMS office marked: “Attention: PTA Treasurer/8th Grade Promotion”. Please make checks payable to “CMS PTA”.
- Make an online donation via the Webstore on the school’s website https://chms.schoolloop.com/.
If you would like to help with the dance, please feel free to email Heidi Campher on firstname.lastname@example.org. The more the merrier!
CMS families with businesses can sponsor this event and receive public recognition on our CMS PTA Facebook Page and on the marquee outside the school. This is a tax-deductible donation.
In advance, we thank you for your donations and support in making this a memorable night for our 8th grade students.
CMS 8th Grade Promotion Committee
December 6, 2016 Letter
Eighth grade activities are just around the corner. We are looking forward to a celebration of the culmination of three years of hard work on the part of your children. Hopefully, the information included in this letter will assist you in your planning.
- This year the Promotion Dance will take place in the Multi-Purpose Room on Friday, June 2, 2017, from 7 to 9:30 p.m. In order to participate in this activity, students must have passing grades in all of their classes by Monday, May 30, 2017.
Please remember before you purchase clothes for the promotion dance, this event is NOT a formal affair and the middle school dress code applies. Long formals, halter/spaghetti straps/strapless dresses, dresses with low necklines, etc. are appropriate for formal high school dances. However, they are NOT permitted at the middle school promotion dance or promotion ceremony. We want to ensure that all students dress appropriately for eighth grade promotion activities.
- This year the eighth grade trip to Great America will take place on Monday, June 5, 2017. In order to take part in this activity, students must have passing grades in all classes on their report card at the end of the second trimester, March 9, 2017. Students must continue to maintain passing grades during the third trimester to attend.
- The promotion ceremony will take place on Thursday, June 8, 2017. In order to participate in this activity, students must have passing grades in all of their classes for the third trimester. We encourage our eighth graders to see this event as one for which they “dress for success.” Jeans, flip flops, and hats are not appropriate for this event and are not permitted at the ceremony. Note that it is possible for students not to have the grades for the Great America trip but still be able to participate in the other two promotion activities.
- An eighth grade student may advance to high school with one failing grade on his or her report card at the end of the third trimester. However, the student may not take part in the promotion ceremony or dance. According to District policy, a student with two or more failing grades at the end of the third trimester must attend and pass summer school classes before advancing to high school. A student with three failing grades may be retained. Final decisions regarding students’ advancement to high school will be made by the administration in August.
Please see the following important dates and save this information for your reference.
March 13 Panoramic picture order forms will be distributed to students in Core class.
March 16 Panoramic picture taken in the afternoon. (The payment is due on day of picture.)
Week of February 27: Additional information packets will be sent home with permission slips and further details.
Promotion Gown and Great America Trip Monies Due
April 14 Promotion ceremony gown sizes are due.
April 21 Great America permission slip, field trip emergency form, and money are due. ($72 for ticket and transportation or $40 for transportation only for students with season passes). The Great America trip is on Monday, June 5th.
Promotion Dance and Ceremony Dates
June 2 Promotion Dance in the Multi-Purpose Room from 7:00 p.m. to 9:30 p.m.
June 8 Promotion Ceremony at 6:00 p.m. in the CMS Courtyard
In May, we will compile a list of students who are at-risk of failing the third trimester and in danger of not participating in both the Promotion Dance (6/2) and the CMS Promotion Ceremony (6/8).
We look forward to successful second and third trimesters for all of our eighth grade students.
Pat Avilla Brian Scharmann
Principal Vice Principal